Tomb of Panju Khan Khajjak (Sibi district, Baluchistan). He was a contemporary of Timur Shah Durrani.
“Three Khajjak headmen of the time- Sardar Panju Khan Hamimzai, Jangi Khan Doulatzai, Itabar Khan Umarzai – are mentioned in a royal Afghan farman which is dated 1179 A H /1782 A.D. In this farman each of them has been granted one Pao of water along with the proportionate agricultural lands in Siwi area in addition to their ancestral share in the common tribal property. Sardar Panju Khan was son of Qaim Khan son of Nihal Khan son of Azmat Khan son of Mir Khan son of Hamim Khan son of Khajak.” [“Afghans of the Frontier Passes”, A. Aziz Luni , Volume 2, p-200]
“In Sibi tehsil (now a district), the Pathans have adapted themselves to local conditions and have forgotten even their language and they mostly speak Sindhi. Only Khajjaks living in the village of the same name speak Pushto and Sindhi both” [Population Census of Pakistan, 1961] ….. “The Khajaks of Sibi speak Pashto which has a mixture of Sindi words, and the Panri Afghans speak Sindi in their homes” [Baluchistan District Gazetteer Series: Sibi, 1907 – Page 49].
“The Khajaks were originally located in Mekhtar, which is now held by the Hamzazai Kakars. Expelled thence, they settled in the Siwi district, where they were assigned land and water by their kinsmen. Afterwards, however, they picked a quarrel with the Barozais and other Panis, in the course of which they got the upper hand. In consequence they considered themselves without rivals in those parts, and hence their proverb: “Although the Kakars may coquette in the hill tracts, the Khajaks lord it in the plains.” [Census of India, 1901, Parts 1-2, p-93]
” ln March 1841, Mr. Ross Bell, the Political Agent in Upper Sind sent Colonel Wilson of the Bombay Cavalry to collect the arrears of revenue due from the Khajjaks of Sibi, on behalf of Shah Shuja. On Khajjaks refusal, the British army attacked the town, but were repulsed with heavy loss, losing fifty- three men killed and wounded and four officers including Colonel Wilson. Reinforcements from Bhag were sent under General Brooks but before they could arrive, the Khajjaks abandoned their town, the defences of which were then demolished. The Khajjaks were permitted to return during the following year and the town was rebuilt. The power of the Khajjaks was thus weakened, and shortly afterwards the Marris acquired a footing in the Sibi district. They dispossessed the Pannis of Badra and Quat-Mandai and overran Sangan.” [“Baluchistan District Gazetteer Series: Sibi, 1907, p-26 and p-63]